Wednesday, July 12, 2006


Day 12!
Well, in that last picture, notice his leg out to the side? Seems he didn't have a surface he could grip good enough in the nest box and got a condition called Splay Legged. Even when I would pick him up, the legs would stay this way and I knew that was not right. Did some research on the internet and found a couple ways to correct this condition if caught early enough(we were early enough, thank God). I tried for 2 days to use gauze around the legs then medical tape to splint them back where they should be but couldn't get it to stay on. I found this solution that has worked much better. It is a make-up sponge with 2 holes cut and the legs inserted in the holes. It has stayed on all day today and he looks so much better. I will leave this about 2-3 days then use another with the holes cut a little closer. I hope this works and I hope I am doing every thing right. I am so clueless about this stuff.


Speaking of baby birds........... We had quite a frog strangler rain here last night and when I got home tonight I could hear baby birds in the base of the chimney right inside the flue. I knew the rain had washed them down last night but just had to pull everything apart and check it out. There was a nest, still intact, with 4 baby chimney swifts still in the nest. I dug it out, nest and all thinking the mommy bird would not fly down 10 ft of chimney to take care of the babies. We put them in a box and fed them a couple bites of cat food and I got to thinking, I told myself, "Girl, you don't want the job of raising 4 baby birds! There has to be something else done here." So I went outside just to look up at the chimney and surrounding area just to see if I could put it back somewhere that the mommy would find it and feed her own babies. While looking up I saw the mom fly back into the chimney so I went back in and sure enough, she was all the way down in the chimney looking for them babies. With a quick "Hallelujah" I said, "give me those birds!" I pulled it all apart again and set the nest back inside the base of the chimney and shoved it all back together, dusted off my hands and breathed a sigh of relief. I went outside and did see the mom go back down the chimney and didn't see her come out. One less job I have to worry about.

Now, on to the next adventure..... Terry was sitting in the living room watching TV and I heard him holler, "Mom, there is a snake in here!" It was more then 2 foot long and about as big around as a kindergartener's fat pencil. Terry said it was probably a chicken snake but it was not all black either. We got the kitchen tongs and a yard stick but Terry thought the handle on the tongs was not long enough to suit him. The snake was in the corner with the TV and wanted to hide among all the wires. We finally chased it behind the Video drawers and I had to get the tongs and grab the snake. Where is all the testosterone when you really need it? We opened the front door and it was getting feisty so I had to drop it on the front porch. I was beginning to think the tongs werent long enough either! It slithered off the porch into the darkness, never to be seen again(hopefully!).

And that was my day. Oops, almost forgot, the day started out with a trip to the dentist for me and Terry. We both had lost fillings so we had to get that taken care of. It went well enough, no pain, just a big bother.

No comments: