Sunday, December 04, 2005

I was just going through my collection of photos looking for something to share with you tonight. I found this and it is one of my favorite. It was taken a couple years ago but it is so typical of Sarah Beth. We had purchased some old boxes of junk at and auction and acquired a mouse nest in the process. We were unloading at the shop and discovered about 5 baby mice. During the ride home in the back of the truck the mommy mouse had moved all her babies from the box they were in to under the mat in the back of the truck. She was still hanging close trying to keep and eye on them but by the time we unloaded enough to get close to them she decided to abandon ship. When we found them under the mat some had already been smashed but 2 were still alive. They were only a few days old, still pink, blind and hairless. I was ready to throw them over the hill but Sarah Beth would have none of it. She was determined to take them home and try to raise them. But of course, you know who would be getting up every 2 hours to feed them. Yes, Me! We did manage to keep them alive raising them on kitten milk from a dropper and kept them in a fish tank for a while. The sad part is while she was playing with one, it disappeared under the couch cushion was not alive when we found it. ( I think I sat on it). The other one's story is not so sad, It jumped out of the fish tank and found its own way in the world. I don't know if it was in one of my mouse traps or not but I guess it is best we don't know. We can imagine it had a long and happy life with many, many grandchildren.

No comments: