Saturday, February 18, 2006

Wasn't expecting this when we got up this morning!

Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but I was surprised. We had about an inch, but it was sticking to the roads pretty bad. By the way, I just found that picture on the internet. Glad I don't live there.

Terry talked me into going out with him this morning, we had to go get a space heater at the shop to try and keep this kitchen warm while it is less then 20° tonight. We needed some gas for the car and a trip to the grocery store. We made it out and back all right but it was a bit scary. They hadn't done anything to the roads yet and we passed one car on the way home, beside the road, theyweren'tt able to make it up the hill. Needless to say, I stayed home the rest of the day. Terry was out again this afternoon and said the main roads were clear now.

Last night we noticed a peeping sound coming from one of the cockatiel eggs. We got flashlight out and one egg is dark inside, I would assume that is the one with the baby bird in it. The other 2 are still clear inside so I guess they are not baby birds. Anyway, that was last night. Haven't heard any more from the egg since then. I can see where it started to break the shell but nothing has come out of it yet. After reading up about it on Google, the poor thing has so much going against it that I wouldn't be surprised if that is the last we hear from it. It needs moisture and it is really dry in here from the wood stove, Mom usually takes a bath and her wet feathers will give it moisture but this crazy bird won't get in the water that I give her. I keep telling Sarah Beth about how it probably won't hatch and not to get her hopes up but she just accuses me of being negative and not having enough faith. hmmmmmm, that is something to think about.

Well, I better go and get started finding something for the Sunday School lesson tomorrow. I need a story with a coloring page and a craft. Something that will keep 6-8 preschoolers busy for an hour. I was thinking they might call off church tomorrow but if the roads are clear, I guess not. We are supposed to have a dinner after church tomorrow too and I need to bring a dish. I bought cucumbers to make a cucumber onion salad but I don't want to put that together until in the morning. Terry thinks I ought to take something else too but I can't think what. Maybe there won't be a lot of people there tomorrow because of the weather so we won't need as much food. I try to leave the major 'cooking' to the 'good cooks' in the church. I can bring the soft drinks and chips.


3 comments:

Farm Girl said...

You can be a 'good cook' too you know. You made some yummy suppers there in Dallas at our apartment. Remember that Taco Salad you made? I can still taste it!! Don't sell yourself short! Surprise them at church with something, a casserole in the crockpot?
I got thousand of recipes if you wnat one. Lots and lots of crockpot books too.
You can do it!!

Farm Girl said...

I don't know whether to be sad or what for your baby bird.

Lois said...

what if you put a damp cloth or a cotton ball under the egg to dampen it?Add water to it every now and then.

That picture you posted had me stumped for sure. I though it was taken out the back room window at moms, the edge of the greenhouse and the stove pipe sticking up. Take another look an see what you think.
Make a pan of rolls or a loaf of bread in the bread machine, deviled eggs, bowl of corn from your freezer, from your garden etc.